Christmas is a time of feasting, and the perfect drink to go with your roast turkey is the traditional eggnog. Taken from Jamie Oliver this recipe is a sure party starter, it’s quick and super easy to make and will get you into the festive spirit in no time.
The recipe – Serves 8
- 3 cups (700ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy or double cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 (130g) cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175ml) Bacardi Dark Rum, or bourbon
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla bean, vanilla seeds, and nutmeg. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Once boiling, remove from the heat and allow to steep (soak).
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until combined and thick ribbons form when the whisk is lifted. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to mix until the mixture is combined and smooth. Add bourbon or rum and stir. Refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days – or drink straight away once it has chilled for a bit. The longer you refrigerate, the better the results.
- Before serving, beat the egg whites in a large bowl or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold into eggnog until combined. Serve and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
Team this up with our suggested Stuffed Turkey Breast recipe and you’re well and truly on your way to throwing a fabulous Christmas feast.
Disclaimer: Some items in this article may not be eligible for Cashback. Deals, products, displayed prices, Cashback rates and available retailers through CASHREWARDS mentioned above may change at any time without notice. This article has not been specifically sponsored in any way, by any retailer, although CASHREWARDS has ongoing partnerships with the stores mentioned above in order to provide you Cashback at these stores.